Three Ways To Protect Your Home From An Electrical Fire

Posted on: 17 February 2015

One of the most difficult situations you can ever face is having your home catch on fire. Even if the fire department is able to quench the flames, you will end up with significant fire, smoke, and water damage to most of your possessions, and will require the help of a company like Disaster Specialist. Because a fire can be so devastating, it is best to take some precautions to make sure that your home isn't damaged to begin with. Here are three things you can do to keep your home safe from an electrical fire:

Don't overload a circuit

One of the easiest ways to cause a fire is to put too many appliances and devices on a single outlet. This can frequently happen when you are running multiple appliances off of a single power strip or running a lot of home theater equipment on one outlet. The best way to protect your home is to spread out your devices over multiple circuits. Because multiple outlets often run on the same circuit, hire an electrician to split up the circuits in your room and spread the load around. Another great way to protect yourself is to buy a power strip that shuts down before it overloads an outlet. These power strips will trip an internal breaker if the amperage or wattage becomes too high for your home's wiring.

Watch for signs of faulty wiring

Because you often can't see an electrical fire until it is too late, it's best to discover the signs that your wiring may be putting your home at risk. These are some of the most prominent signs that you may have a fault in your wiring:

  • Buzzing fixtures or outlets
  • Breakers that are constantly tripping, even if you have reduced the power draw from them
  • Strange odors (melting plastic, burned rubber, etc)
  • Outlets and switches that are warm to the touch
  • Sparks from outlets

If you notice any of these signs, turn off the circuit at your breaker box and call an electrician to have them take a look at your wiring to make sure you are safe.

Make sure your appliances are grounded

One of the easiest ways to cause a fire is to continue using a 3 pronged appliance or device if the grounding plug is broken. While your device may still work even without the ground, it can be a serious fire hazard.

Protect your home by doing a regular electricity audit and make sure that you don't see any of these warning signs. If you do, get the issue resolved immediately.

Share